Regional Water Strategy
Central Florida Regional Water Strategy Initiative
Why Create a Regional Water Strategy?:
The Central Florida Regional Growth Vision called for the development of regional strategies to provide sufficient water and ensure that the water supply is in place to support new development. It also recommended the development of a regional water resources plan that includes strategies for reducing consumption, sharing available water sources, and developing alternative water sources.
Lead Organization and Project Partners:
Creating a regional water strategy has been identified by the Central Florida Congress of Regional Leaders as their number one priority for 2009 and 2010. The Congress of Regional Leaders is comprised of the County Chair (or designate) from each of the seven counties in Central Florida along with one mayor from each county representing all the mayors within that county. It also includes two representatives of the Central Florida Public School Boards Coalition. The three water management districts with coverage within the region: the South Florida Water management District, Southwest Florida Water management District and St. Johns River Water Management Districts are all project funding partners. The University of Central Florida’s Metropolitan Center for Regional Studies and the Florida Department of Environmental Protection are also project partners. myregion.org is managing the project and ULI Central Florida is providing technical assistance.
- Create a regional water strategy.
- Avoid the use of public money to litigate over water.
A Steering Committee comprised of subject experts from both the public and private sector and representing all seven counties has been meeting since July 2009. The Steering Committee currently includes approximately 35 individuals from across the region.
PHASE 1: WATER SUPPLY/DEMAND/CONSERVATION
July 2009-January 2010 – Regional Water Problem/Issues Identification
- Steering Committee Assembled
- Water Problem Statement Identified
- 7-County Stakeholder meetings held
- Data collection and research
February-June 2010 – Supply/Demand/Conservation Briefing Book Preparation
- July 15-16, 2010 – Supply/Demand/Conservation Workshop
- August-November, 2010 – Supply/Demand/Conservation White Paper Preparation
- December, 2010 – White Paper submitted to Congress of Regional Leaders
- January - August, 2011 - Congress of Regional Leaders implementation
PHASE 2: CIVIC ARCHITECTURE
(December, 2010 – December, 2011)
- June - August, 2011 - Water Govenrance 'Breifing Book" Preperation
- August 11 and 12, 2011 - Water Governance Technical Assistance Panel Forum
- October 14, 2011 - Regional Water Summit
- November 4, 2011 - Congress of Regional Leaders Presentation of Report and Recommendatons
County Stakeholder Meetings:
Held on September 28, 2009
Held on November 4, 2009
Held on November 10, 2009
Held on November 5, 2009
Held on December 8, 2009
Held on January 25, 2010
Held on October 22, 2009
Regional Water Strategy Briefing Book -10/08/10
Regional Water Strategy Briefing Book Appendix A - 10/08/10
Regional Water Strategy Recommendations - 10/08/10
Regional Water Strategy Steering Committee Roster - 10/08/10
Regional Water Strategy Congress of Regional Leaders Commitment Letter - 10/08/10
Congress of Regional Leaders - 10/08/10
Congress of Regional Leaders - 12/04/09