• Named for its approximately 1,400 lakes, the county was created in 1887 from portions of Sumter and Orange counties.
• Agriculture was the main industry in Lake County, reaching $101 million, until the freezes of 1983, 1985, and 1989. Today the county continues to draw agriculture-related tech businesses, along with healthcare and light manufacturing.
• Lake County is known for its diverse landscape and terrain, especially its hills, which are unusual for Florida. Its highest point, and the second-highest in the state, is Sugarloaf Mountain at 312 feet above sea level.
• Triathletes around the world consider Lake County prime training ground, and it has become a magnet for people who train in cycling, running and swimming.
• South Lake Hospital opened the National Training Center in Clermont in 2001. Today its facilities include a 37,000-square-foot fitness center, an aquatic center, athletic fields, a track-and-field complex, a cross-country course, and a human performance lab for sports science testing. Thousands of youth and adult athletes from more than 25 countries have trained there.
• Two-time Olympic gold medal softball pitcher Dot Richardson serves as one of the center’s top executives.
• Tavares, one of the municipalities in Lake County, is known as “America’s Seaplane City” and is home to a city-owned 50-acre seaplane base on Lake Dora.
How does Lake County rank on the 2012 Central Florida Scorecard? Here are some highlights:
• Population: 301,000, the second-smallest in the region behind Osceola at 276,200 residents.
• College attainment: 19 percent, tied with Polk County for the lowest in the region and well below the regional average of 25 percent.
• Water consumption: 193 gallons a day, the highest in the region and well above the regional average of 154 and the state average of 158.
• Unemployment rate: 9.9 percent, the second-highest in the region. Voter turnout: 53.3 percent, the second-lowest in the region.
• Charitable contributions: $3,400 per capita, which falls right in the middle among the region’s counties.
Municipalities in Lake County
Want to see how Lake County compares with the rest of the region?
Click here to explore more with the Central Florida Scorecard.